Running for the Train

I am of two minds about running for the train.

On the one hand I understand if you're running late why you'd want to run.

On the other hand it never takes that long for another train to come along, and I always work enough time into my schedule to be able to miss a train or two.

For a while now I've had a self-imposed rule: never run for the train. I walk, no matter how close I am to the still open doors. As the others look out at me walking briskly I feel their hearts pounding a little faster, see their eyes saying 'hurry up!'

I've been surprised a few times that I even made it. I'm the only one still on the platform, I don't run, I walk up an extra car or two and have a few seconds to spare after I get in.

Only two, maybe three, times have I been 'shut out' with a door slammed in my face. I've never had the experience of actually being caught sandwiched between the two doors fortunately.

But I've also had times when I felt the need to run. It's only natural. The train is leaving, I want on the train, the doors are still open: maybe I can make it!

So I run. I see others run sometimes to comic effect. You'll see a runner with absolutely no hope of making it running on principle. The train is there: therefore I run. No matter that you just walked around the corner and are a full level above the train which has already been there for a few minutes, is fully loaded, and the platform is empty. Run! You might make that last quarter of a kilometre. You might win the lottery too.